||Robust and Multivariable Control Design
||dr.ir. J.W. van Wingerden
|Contact Hours / Week x/x/x/x:
|Expected prior knowledge:
||Requires solid background on state-space descriptions of multivariable linear systems.
· Recap on background in linear systems theory and classical feedback control
· Multivariable system control: Nyquist, interaction, decoupling
· Directionality in multiloop control, gain and interaction measure
· Stabilizing controllers and the concept of the generalized plant
· Parametric uncertainty descriptions, approximations
· The general framework of robust control
· Robust stability analysis
· Nominal and robust performance analysis
· The H-infinity control problem
· The structured singular value: Definition of mu
· Mu synthesis, DK-iteration, role of uncertainty structure.
· Design of robust controllers, choice of performance criterion and weights
||The student is able to reproduce theory and apply computational tools for robust controller analysis and synthesis.
More specifically, the student must be able to:
1. substantiate relation between frequency-domain and state-space description of dynamical systems
2. define stability and performance for multivariable linear time-invariant systems
3. construct generalized plant for complex system interconnections
4. describe parametric and dynamic uncertainties
5. translate concrete controller synthesis problem into abstract framework of robust control
6. reproduce definition of the structured singular value
7. master application of structure singular value for robust stability and performance analysis
8. design robust controllers on the basis of the H-infinity control algorithm
9. apply controller-scalings iteration for robust controller synthesis
||Computer exercises with Matlab"s Robust Control Toolbox.
|Literature and Study Materials:
S. Skogestad, I. Postlethwaite, Multivariable Feedback Control, 2nd Edition. John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
References from literature:
K. Zhou, J.C. Doyle, K. Glover, Robust and optimal control, Prentice Hall, 1996
D.-W. Gu, P.Hr. Petkov, M.M. Konstantinov, Robust Control Design with Matlab. Springer Verlag, London, UK, 2005
||Written exercise and written examination