- Read more about
the Smart Optics Systems programme...
- Integrated high resolution observation through turbulence
- Smart Microscopy of Biological Tissues
- Integrated Smart Microscopy
- Image manipulation for Wafer Plane Conformity in Optical Lithography Systems
- Waveguide-based External Cavity Semiconductor Laser arrays
- Smart Multilayer Interactive Optics for Lithography at Extreme UV wavelengths
- Read more about the Smart Optics Systems programme...
- For the research on windenergy we refer to the webpage of Dr. Jan-Willem van Wingerden.
See our lab page for further details.
Knowledge Center for Aperture Synthesis (KAS) (Funding: TNO and TU Delft)cooperation TNO - TU Delft.
One of the results of this research is the development of a data-driven controller design method that exploits spatial and temporal correlation that is present in the turbulence disturbance to improve the performance of the controller.
The potential of the method has been demonstrated on a laboratory adaptive optics setup at TNO. A recording showing the image of a point object and the wavefront sensor image have been shown for three different situations: 1) no control, 2) classical PI control, and 3) optimal control.
- Karel Hinnen, Michel Verhaegen and Niek Doelman, Exploiting the spatiotemporal correlation in adaptive optics using data-driven H2-optimal control, Journal Opt. Soc. Am., 24(6):1714-1725, 2007 [PDF]
- K.J.G. Hinnen, Data-Driven Optimal Control for Adaptive Optics, PhD Thesis, TU Delft, Jan. 2007 [PDF]
IOP Adaptive Optics (Funding: Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs)a joint project between TNO, TU/e and the TU Delft, which resulted in the design of a modular electromagnetic deformable mirror (read more...)Modular deformable mirror based on electromagnetic actuators (left: actuator layout and suspension,and the following PhD theses:
right: membrane (without reflective coating).
Adaptive Optics - Delft Center for Mechatronics and Microsystems (Funding: Competitive Stimulation Funding from TU Delft)this project resulted in the following PhD thesis:
- H. Song, Model-based Control in Adaptive Optics Systems, PhD Thesis, TU Delft, Mar 2011 [PDF]
- Hong Song, Rufus Fraanje, Michel Verhaegen, Georg Schitter and Gleb Vdovin, ADAPTIVE OPTICS: New algorithm improves AO systems without wavefront sensors, Laser Focus World, 01/25/2011 [HTML]
Decomposition methods for distributed control and identification (Funding: MicroNed programme)Read more on this research in the following publications:
- P. Massioni and M. Verhaegen, Distributed Control for Identical Dynamically Coupled Systems: A Decomposition Approach, IEEE Trans. Automat. Control, 54(1):124-135, 2009 [PDF]
- P. Massioni and M. Verhaegen, Subspace identification of circulant systems, 44(11):2825-2833, 2008 [PDF]
- R. Fraanje, P. Massioni and M. Verhaegen, A Decomposition Approach to Distributed Control of Dynamic Deformable Mirrors, Int. J. Optomechatronics, 4(3), 2010 [PDF]
- P. Massioni, F. Ankersen and M. Verhaegen, A Matching Pursuit Algorithm Approach to Chaser-Target Formation Flying Problems, IEEE Trans. Control Syst. Techn., 20(2):513-519, 2012 [PDF]
- P. Massioni, Decomposition Methods for Distributed Control and Identification, PhD Thesis, Delft Univ. Technology, 2010, [PDF]
Efficient Algorithms for Distributed Control: A Structured Matrix Approach (Funding: STW)Read more on this research in the following publications:
- J.K. Rice and M. Verhaegen, Distributed Control: A Sequentially Semi-Separable Approach for Spatially Heterogeneous Linear Systems, IEEE Trans. Automat. Control, 54(6):1270-1283, 2009 [PDF]
- J.K. Rice and M. Verhaegen, A structured matrix approach to efficient calculation of LQG repetitive learning controllers in the lifted setting, Int. J. Control, 83(6):1265-1276, 2010 [PDF]
- Rufus Fraanje, Justin Rice, Michel Verhaegen and Niek Doelman, Fast reconstruction and prediction of frozen flow turbulence based on structured Kalman filtering, J. Opt. Soc. Am. 27(11):A235-A245, 2010 [PDF]
- Justin K. Rice and Michel Verhaegen, Robust and distributed control of a smart blade, Wind Energy, 13(2-3):103-116, 2010 [PDF]
- J.K. Rice and M. Verhaegen, Distributed Control in Multiple Dimensions: A Structure Preserving Computational Technique, IEEE Trans. Automat. Control, 56(3):516-530, 2011 [PDF]
- Justin K. Rice and Michel Verhaegen, Efficient System Identification of Heterogeneous Distributed Systems via a Structure Exploiting Extended Kalman Filter, IEEE Trans. Automat. Control, 56(7):1713-1718, 2011 [PDF]
- Justin Rice, Efficient Algorithms for Distributed Control: A Structured Matrix Approach, PhD Thesis, Delft Univ. Technology, 2010 [PDF]